I find it impossible to fall asleep without good music, so these are the tracks I put on shuffle when I nod off at night... the list's not too long so that I don't wear out the battery on my MP3 player, but long enough that I don't get woken up by the music stopping!
They're all peaceful, calm tracks that really help relax you. I don't listen to them in the day tho cos I'm too energetic! Enjoy (:
If you only pick three, go for numbers 3, 11 and 28!
A brief description of each track:
1. Retro hit from 1999, I heard it first on Ben Jones' Virgin Radio show and had to download it
2. This song always makes me cry if I'm feeling down cos of a guy! Beautiful lyrics, and without the soaring powerful passages of Beyonce etc which always wake me up.
3. Great when you're trying to calm down and keep your composure... I bet she sang it to herself when she climbed Mount Kilimanjaro!
4. Classic. More of a blues feel to this one - her voice sounds great on this track and I love the rythms it makes.
5. Brilliant lyrics: not-so-subtle dig at the tabloid-headline-grabbing golddigers and a throwback to the days of retro glamour. Her scottish accent is really relaxing too!
6. Not as powerful as some of her tracks, but I find that makes it more relaxing. It reminds that people can still love bits of you that you hate yourself.
7. Beautiful and calm, reminds me not to dwell on the past and instead to make the future perfect.
8. Chris Martin apparently wrote this for his wife after her father died, and for me it's all about knowing that there are people who will always look after you no matter what.
9. She has a stunning voice full of soul, lyrics are simpler than some of the other tracks but her voice just makes it so relaxing.
10. Everyone needs a hero! And Enrique's voice is blissful (:
11. So different to her other stuff, this track is stripped right back to let her vocal melody shine through with a very unobtrusive piano accompaniament.
12. Love this one for the lyrics - "I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket"
13. These girls know how to harmonise! Makes me think that you shouldn't leave your old friends just because of one tiny argument.
14. More beautiful harmonies from the girls! Don't be such a perfectionist when you're analysing your past.
15. After listening to this I can't go to sleep until I've fixed any quarrels i have with my friends. Life's too short to go to bed angry.
16. My favourite - it's got a strong beat going, but it's still really gentle. Like a boat rocking you to sleep (:
17. Beautiful bluesy track with a gently swaying rythm, reminds you you're never alone.
18. The best boy band ever! Lol. This one is purely personal - I played in a concert where a group of lads did an interpretation of it and the lead singer looked and moved exactly like my crush of the time (:
19. Power ballad. I think everyone knows this... but for me it's more about everlasting friendships that romantic relationships.
20. Another powerful one! The melody soars beautifully above the background.
21. A gentle folksy rythm in this. Reminds me that just trying your hardest is all that matters and more important than the end result.
22. Another personal one, I very rarely cry in public so I really relate to these lyrics: "I won't let it show, you won't see me cry"
23. This was also very close to me, when I was trying to get over a guy who I fell for and then treated me bad ):
24. Love the lyrics more than the tune, if all else fails just keep your faith in angels.
25. This actually links back to the same story behind no.24 - I hated the next girl he went for, basically because I couldn't protect her, but after he hurt her bad too we became close and are now best friends (:
26. Kinda embarrassing to admit I love this girl's music!! I'm not so into the lyrics but it's a very calm, relaxing and unobtrusive tune.
27. Sounds pretty much the same as no.26, but these lyrics really hit home - you can't control fate, so relax and enjoy your life (:
28. Stunning, full of soul without being too over-powering. It actually makes me wonder why I ever bother looking for love when it "equals nothing but sadness and pain"
29. Similar sound to no.28 but a little more up-beat, inspires you to stop focussing on the past.
30. Yup I do love this guy!! These last three tracks are all pretty similar, but they're just soooo relaxing. [-]